|This electronic flyer highlights our capabilities
and activities in the area of Plastic- and Fiberglass-Reinforced Pipe Research.
Please sign our guestbook.
additional information, e-mail
Southwest Research Institute.
Plastic- and Fiberglass-Reinforced Pipe Research
Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) has provided studies in the
area of plastic- and fiber-glass-reinforced pipe (FRP) products for several decades.
Continuing a multi-year program for the Gas Technology Institute (GTI), our experienced,
multidisciplinary research teams have developed plastic pipe repair methods, inspection
techniques, and fracture behavior analysis methods. Recent innovations for the gas and
petroleum industries include:
- Infrared inspection of plastic pipe repair
- Full-scale studies of gas transmission pipe fast-facture
- Analytical prediction of plastic pipe critical flaw growth and
- Tension and pressure regression curve development for FRP
- Development of makeup torque/tightness relationships for FRP
- Collapse testing of FRP
- Thermal cycling with tensionand internal pressure of FRP tubing
Specialized capabilities at SwRI for plastic pipe and FRP
testing and evaluation include:
- Flow testing (liquid, gas, two-phase)
- Gas leak/compatibility testing (high pressure, sour gas)
- Load frames (200,000 to 1.5 million lb)
- External pressure collapse (to 12-inch diameter 20,000 psi)
- Part failure analysis (material failure or compatibility)
- Thermal cycling (350°F + temperature; 15 psi pressure;
300,000-lb sequential or simultaneous load)
- GTI plastic pipe laboratory (thermography, temperature soaking,
repair, and joining studies)
SwRI studies oil field fiberglass tubing samples under interior
pressure/tension conditions at maximum operating temperatures.
For more information about plastic- and fiberglass-reinforced pipe research, contact
Carl Popelar, Phone (210) 522-5427, (210) 522-6965, Telex 244846,
Mechanical Engineering Division,
Southwest Research Institute, P.O. Drawer 28510, San Antonio, Texas
Engineering Division Brochures SwRI Brochures
SwRI Publications SwRI Technical Divisions SwRI Home